Plant based Bean & Lentil Chilli
Plant based, Vegan, Vegetarian & super tasty!
10 Portions & ideal to batch cook for a healthy week.
Serve with rice (calories not included above), on its own in a bowl or add some diced avocado, a squeeze of lime, chopped coriander & a drizzle of Natural yoghurt to cool it down if you find to too spicy.
Ideal to make the day before as it reheats well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 3 carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp (flat) chilli powder
- 1 dessertspoon chipotle paste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 bay leaf
- 750 ml water
- 410 g puy lentils
- 500g passata
- 1 tin black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tin sweetcorn, drained & rinsed
- 1 red pepper
- Good pinch sea salt & black pepper
- 2 dessertspoons maple syrup (optional)
- 1 vegetable stock cube/pot
- Dice all your vegetables.
- Mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add in the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper & cook for 2 mins on a low heat to soften.
- Add in the carrots, cook for a further minute before adding in the chilli powder, paprika, chipotle, all spice & cumin.
- Stir to combine & gently continue to cook for 2 mins.
- Add in the stock, passata & water.
- Stir well, bring to a simmer before adding in the bay leaf & washed lentils.
- Bring to the boil, simmer for approx. 30 mins. (If using the slow cooker to finish this you can add it in now & cook on high heat for 45 -60 mins).
- Add in the beans, corn & maple syrup (if using as this is optional), cook for a further 20 mins on the cooker or 30-45 in the slow cooker.